Friday 5 October 2007

Dematteis Da Man?

JM DeMatteis recently posted on his blog found over on Amazon that he has finished working on his first Spider-Man story in 10 years. While he wrote an ok Spider-Man during and after the Clone Saga he will always be known for his Kraven's Last Hunt story and so discussion on this announcement has lead to Kraven talk, rather then any of the other Spidey books he wrote.

I have to admit something about this story... I didn't like it that much. I mean it was good and well written but it's one of those stories that are discussed so much and so often that by the time you get it, it can never live up to the hype.

All the twists and turns, all the character insight, everything you want from a good story has already been told to you a thousand times before hand that when you finally read the story, it feels like you are just rereading message boards or reliving comic store discussions.

So I'll be interesting in reading this story just to see if I like DeMatteis' work rather then any sort of legendary status he has gotten.

If you haven’t already Kraven’s Last Hunt do so. I won’t expand on it for obvious reasons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read Kraven's Last Hunt went it came out and loved it, but it hasn't aged particularly well and it worked better in single issues than it does as a trade

If someone hasn't heard all about it, I still recommend reading it.

I think it has to be taken as part of a larger story, too - Vermin was a supporting character for a long time under JDM, and often the most interesting part of the book in the build-up to Spectacular #200