Thursday 11 October 2007

Hype Machine Part 2

Okay, so the announcement was Captain America is coming back. They’ll be a new person in the suit and he’ll be a little more hardcore (he has a knife and gun!) but the icon is coming back.

I won’t judge the idea because I haven’t read the story yet. I trust in Ed Brubaker so chances are I’ll enjoy the story.

What I do want to comment on is Marvel’s advertising of this “event”. I understand why they’ve done this, making it seem like a big announcement. They want the people who ran to comic stores to buy Cap’s death to run back and see his replacement. I get that and I understand it.

But... why leave it this long? When Captain America died we had 2 or 3 months of people speculating who would replace Captain America. You couldn’t go in any comic shop without it being discussed, you couldn’t log onto a message board without seeing at least one “Who will be the new Captain America?” topic. On holiday in a place totally unrelated to comics someone I just met started talking to me about Captain America’s death. It was huge news and that hardly ever happens in comics!

Then Fallen Son #5 hit and we were told no one would replace Captain America. So everyone let out a collective “Oh…” and walked off to discuss the next Internet topic be it Skrulls, Green Arrow or Countdown sucking.

Now Marvel has chosen the time to get us all excited for this replacement but no one seems to care. Everyone got out all the excitement and anticipation months ago. If you ask me, they waited too long to try and encourage this speculation.

No comments: