Monday 27 August 2007

Finally… Crisis

I’ll begin this post by saying it is very possible I am being biased and I’ll explain why later.

What I wanted to talk about was Final Crisis being announced 9 months in advance. That really seems like a long time for us to know all the details of the series such as format, 7 oversized issues, and creative team, Grant Morrison and J.G. Jones.

To get there we have a 52 issue series called Countdown and this is before we even have the event series and all its evitable tie-ins.

Really, it seems like too much to get us to where we need to be. If Countdown was a somewhat good book, I could let it slid. If 52 was leading us to a big event, I would of been all over it. And what is so damn annoying with the book is that, there is no excuse why it should be bad as it’s penned by a group of guys who are some of the best upcoming writers in the business.

I have to question if we would have been told the details about Final Crisis this early if Countdown had been setting the sales charts on fire like it predecessor. Perhaps this a attempt to keep the book from sinking, from Didio and co. of “No really, this series does count! Please buy it”.

Now onto my bias… I’m letting Marvel slide on doing the exact same thing. The only difference is they aren’t listing their Skrull Invasion issues as tie-ins until we get to the event, the only need mention it in the solicitation and they know it’ll sell. They haven’t named a creative team, the name of the event or the format but we all know it’s coming next summer.

With New Avengers and Mighty Avengers building up their next summer event and then several other tie-ins leading up to it, they aren’t going to be far short of Countdown’s issue count. Although I imagine the various Countdown spinoffs one shots and minis will put it way over the edge.

I hope that I’m just being hard on DC because their lead up has so far been sub-par and has cost me nearly $50 to get… get… I really don’t know what I’ve gotten.

By the end of it I’ll of spent $156, just to get to Final Crisis the apparent Lord of the Rings of the DC Universe.

This is the first time I’ve ever planned to buy both companies crossovers. I usually just went with Marvel and got DC’s late in Trades, because I still am a Marvel guy at heart.

I really hope that Morrison and Jones can make my huge investment in this series worth it. They have a lot of work to do.

No comments: