Monday 20 August 2007

I'm a Skrull, He's a Skrull, She's a Skrull, Cause We're All Skrulls!

I’ll admit that when the shocking ending of Elektra being a Skrull in

New Avengers #31 hit, I wasn’t that interested. I’ve never been one for cosmic comics, and tend to prefer the more grounded heroes such as Spider-Man, Batman and Robin.

Then issue #32 hit and saw the entire team do nothing but sit on a plane and accuse each other of been a shape shifting infiltrator. Some people hated that issue as it was nothing but talking heads but I loved it. This made the Skrull Invasion for me, seeing all the heroes begin to suspect the others could all is against him, In a medium predominately filled with people who hide behind masks, this is such a simple idea with the potential to be a classic.

We’ve been promised that the Skrull reveals won’t just be C and D Listers and some big names in the Marvel Universe aren’t quiet what they seem. Armed with this information I’m using this post to make my judgment call of which heroes I think are and aren’t Skrulls in the Marvel Universe.

After or during the event, depending on out in unfolds, I will follow up on my picks and show how far off I really was.

It’ll also be interesting to see if these apparent big name reveals were just hype and we’re left with the Human Fly and The Spot being revealed to be Skrulls.

Skrull Invaders:

Jessica Jones Baby – Yeah. I don’t understand how on earth that would work… if they kidnapped the baby sometime after birth or somehow Jessica was impregnated with a shape-shifting foetus.

The end of New Avengers #31 showed his green eyes opening wide, so he either is or it’s a red herring. That’s entirely possible of course, seeing as everyone who isn’t a main character in the New Avengers seem to have

green eyes now just to toy with the reader’s imagination.

Doctor Strange – It seems likely we have a traitor in New Avengers and the Illuminati apparently have one as well. My money is on Doctor Strange. He used a spell to figure out if anyone on the New Avengers was untrustworthy and everyone passed… but who tests the tester?

Black Bolt – I have a hard time buying that the Hulk can kick his ass off panel and he puts up with his brother stealing his wife and throne from under him in Silent War. He either has a really big chin, or he’s lost his backbone.

Jarvis – Trust me.

Not a Skrull:

Spider-Woman – This would make her a New Avenger placed in the team as an undercover Hydra agent, secretly working for Nick Fury but she’s really a Skrull invader. This Quadruple agent gig has to be a red herring. She’s not a Skrull.

Iron Man – People may not agree with Tony’s means to met his ends but I think he’s acting in character. He’s acting a complete and utter tool to his friends but still his character.

Spider-Man – They’ve learnt from the Clone saga… I hope.

Wolverine – I don’t know how they’d explain away his memories in Wolverine Origins if he was a Skrull.

Echo – She killed Elektra, unveiling this sleeper agent situation. Unless its some brilliant master plan by the Skrulls to plant Echo further into the New Avengers, she isn’t green.

Ms. Marvel – A lot of people suspect she is a Skrull thanks to a weird transformation in Ms. Marvel. I think this was some double bluff and she is sharing her form with some other cosmic being.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only one I felt really good about was Dr. Strange...until the latest issue of World War Hulk. Now I'm stumped again.

Blackbolt is a good theory, though.

Crimbo said...

Crap. I forgot about WWH #3. Good point.

I suppose all of it lies on how far back the imposters go. Is it years like Illumanti #1 would lead you too believe or weeks/months Marvel team?

I can certainly see it pissing alot of people off if its years. Look at Scarle Spider.

Anonymous said...

It just wouldn't make sense to have anyone who's ever had an internal monolgue turn out to be a Skrull. You'd be able to tell right away that they were a Skrull, because instead of thinking "my life sucks" they'd be thinking "live Skrull or die!" So that takes out everyone with a monthly title.

Crimbo said...

The internal monologue was my arguement when I first heard the idea... I mean that means anyone who's had a oneshot, a mini, or an ongoing in the time they've apparently been a Skrull is off limits.

The only way to explain it would be for them to be Sleeper Agents and didn't even know they were Skrulls until it was time for their plan to be put into action.

We'll have to see how it unfolds on that point though... it's still by far the strongest arguement against this idea.

Chase said...

I think it's now obvious that Ms. Luke Cage is a Skrull. Strange's inability to save the plane from crashing put him on the radar, but, as said, the latest issue of World War Hulk pretty such proves that he's the real Dr. Strange.