Friday 17 August 2007

The passing of Mike Wieringo

I think by now most comic book fans have heard about the tragic death of Mike Wieringo. At 44 his death is a tragedy. On the subject of his death there is very little else to say.

I’ve never met the man so I can’t claim to have any insight into the man and his life. All I can discuss is the work he put out on the shelf every month.

Mike was an amazing talent. Most people would describe his art as cartoony. I have done so many times in the past. However, coincidently, for the past few weeks I have been working my way through his and Todd Dezago's Sensational Spider-Man run. His untimely death has made me look at these issues and really analyse his art.

It isn't cartoony. What it is, is full of youth and enthusiasm and hope. It’s slick and curvy. It’s beautiful to look at and you can tell it has been crafted over for hours. The character of Spider-Man leaps out of the page at you and he really is the larger then life character he should be.

He was a very talented artist, appreciated by everyone who saw his art but over looked by many. He wasn’t a superstar, but he was amazingly talented.

I myself have over looked some of his better work such as Fantastic Four and Tellos.

So I vow that I will track down his runs on these books. It might take months, it might take years but I know I need them because I didn’t know how much I enjoyed his work until I knew it was gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike was a great artist, one of my absolute favorites. I'm still at that point where I read somewhere that he died and I'm surprised by the news all over again. Tellos is the crowning achievement of his career...you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Crimbo said...

I will get it for sure. Unfortunately I've just bought most of Morrison's run on the New X-Men, The Hood, Bone, Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 1 and 2... and other stuff.

So not only am I strapped for cash but I have way too much on my "Too read pile" I can't add to it anymore until I've got it down a bit.