Thursday 6 September 2007

Going Places

I just finished reading Teen Titans #50. This marks the firs time I have ever bought a Teen Titans book. I list Robin as one of my favourite characters but I could never be convinced to lay down my money every month on seeing him and his pals. I was perfectly happy with him appearing in Batman titles and his own solo series.

Why did I choose now to purchase Teen Titans and not before? The answer is Sean McKeever. There is something about this guy’s writing that I just love. There is certain optimism in his work, something I think we’ve lost over the years. Now we expect our hero’s to be full of angst and get angry, which is fine… but you need that bit of hope. The idea of superheroes is that these guys can make the world around them better, if they don’t have that hope then what are they fighting for? Perhaps that idea of hope is why I prefer Robin to Batman, a character that despite everyone close to him being killed is still hopeful and enjoys life.

If you have never read the Gravity mini series, do yourself a favour and track it down either in back issues or the digest. It’s not reinventing the wheel; it’s just doing its thing really well. If you are a fan of Invincible or Ultimate Spider-Man you will love it.

Sean McKeever is going places.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Sean McKeever & I picked up Teen Titans #50 for the exact same reasons as you. I'd read a smattering of TT issues before, and nothing for a few years.

I'd have liked to have read what you thought of TT #50 & not just what you think of McKeever. Were you as disappointed as I was? I was expecting much more. Granted it's tough to come onboard and write a memorial issue straight out the gate, but there wans't anything that made me think 'ooh, I must buy #51'