Friday 28 September 2007

I Am So Scared...

If you have ever heard Bendis in an interview, chances are you'll of heard him talk about people who claim to be his biggest fans and yet have never read his independent work like Powers, Jinx or Torso. I fall in that list. I have probably read everything he's done at Marvel except Alias, which I need to pick up, but never really got around to his older work. After hearing him joke about these fans for about the hundredth time I decided that if I saw his Indy work for a good price, I had to make the leap. It’s not that I didn’t want to read it, its just there is so much stuff out there that you can’t just pick up anything you want.

As luck would have it, on Wednesday I saw the collection of Fortune and Glory for £3.50 so I went ahead and bought it. It was a great price and I’ve heard so much praise for this book so I quickly ran home and cracked it open. The writing was funny and the art was unique. You get a wide-eyed newbie to the Hollywood world making snarky comments. It’s an Internet fanboys dream. We do it everyday on the net.

So why am I scared after having bought an excellent piece of literature? One of the few comics you could hand to anyone who isn’t a comic fans and chances are they’d enjoy it despite of any prejudice they have against the medium? Well I’m currently spending nine grand and devoting 3 years of my life to try and enter the industry that this book explores and shows just how shallow and empty it is.

Thanks Bendis. I’m having a mid-life crisis at 19.

No comments: