Tuesday 11 September 2007

Okay! I believe you!

I’m a big fan of the X-Men. I own the run of Uncanny X-Men, bar 30 or 40 issues I’m still hunting for. The Claremont run stands up there with the best runs we’ve ever seen and it had defined the X-Men ever since. That is part of the problem with the X-Men these days. For the most part they are coasting, doing the same thing they’ve done for 40 years. You get the odd big moment like the destruction of Genosha… but nothing really changes. We will never get human and mutant equality so all you can hope for is some good stories from good writers.

So when Marvel started up the hyped machine and inserted Messiah Complex I wasn’t too excited. At the end of it, we’d get the same old stuff. Perhaps the mansion would blow up (which the image to the right could be showing) which is an X-Men event requirement and we’d get a random lottery of characters to appear in the main 3 books. Changes yes, but major? No. It’s the same old stuff just with a new look.

I logged onto Newsarama this morning to find a surprising news piece. The new line-up to X-Force.

It’s a line-up change but is it just a line-up up change? I’m not sure. Looking at that image we seem to be looking at some kind of mutant strike force. These guys don’t mind kicking ass, and are all killers at one time or another. Their outfit colours also seem to match the idea of being a black ops team.

I have to say I’m upset that it looks like Brubaker isn’t writing Warpath anymore, although he could still be writing X-Force for all I know, as he has been the real breakout character in his Uncanny run. That being said the X-Men needing a secret strike force perhaps does mean that we are getting a real status quo change.

Of course it’s just as likely I’ve bought into the hype and we’ll get the same old, same old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm more disappointed to see Wolfsbane leaving X-Factor than I am to see Warpath leaving Uncanny.

Crimbo said...

That's a good point but PAD can make any character work it seems... I love every character in X-Factor so I'm not too bothered.

If it were Jamie Madrox it would be a different story.

I don't know how this team will work BTW... too many hot heads. What I do like is this is something new, a seemingly big change from the norm. I could hate it in execution.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's fair to include Wolfsbane in your description of all the team being killers. She's a real odd one out on this team. Brubaker won't be writing it, sorry.

MC will bring major changes, but so did DeciMation - the strength of those changes lies in how long they last for. Most of the big changes DeciMation brought about are already undone. but even if the changes only last one year or two, I think there's a lot of good stuff going to spill out from Mc and that the crossover itself will be worth a read. i'm expecting big things from this

Crimbo said...

Yeah, she is the odd one out... but if the X-Facotr storyline is saying she has what it takes to kill if she gives into her wolfs side.

So really, all the members of the team could be killers which is why this seems like a black ops strike team more then anything.

Wolfsbane seems more of a (potential) killer then say Cyclops or Nightcrawler etc.

Good to see you posting V.